Wednesday, August 18, 2010

We made it!


Day 8 - 8/18

When I got up at 6:00 this morning, we could see San Francisco. We may be there even earlier than noon, although distances over the water can be quite deceiving. This has been an incredible experience, and I'm so glad I did it (at one point we were thinking I might fly or drive down with the cats and meet up with the boat in SF). I've learned a great deal about cooking underway (everything is a potential cause of injury, even the door to the microwave), and about provisioning (I waaay over-provisioned - we're going to be eating this stuff for weeks, but I guess it's better to err in that direction than not to have enough). Once we get tied up at South Beach, we'll wash the incredibly filthy boat*, and go out for one last dinner. Mitch flies out tomorrow, and while Richard is going to spend a few days in the Bay Area, this will be his last night on the boat. This was such a daunting passage before we did it – now I feel much more confident about our ability to get the boat to Cabo and beyond. Things can (and will) go wrong, but we can deal.

*We tied up at South Beach at about 10:00 AM, made breakfast, did not wash the boat (that'll happen tomorrow) and are either taking naps, exploring SF or writing this blog post.



3 comments:

Sarah and Darrell said...

Great shots! So glad you enjoyed the trip and you two are "home" safe!

Jaye said...

Thanks! We're so glad to be here - see you Saturday!

Unknown said...

When I noticed you are going on the Ha Ha I looked up your old blog and found more great writing about your current trip.

Our boat is also at South Beach, near the end of B dock. If you get a chance, let us know and we will try to come up to meet you.

Good luck on your adventure!
Pete Sorenson